Saturday, September 7, 2013

lovin it

in which I discuss Ariana Grande. while trying not to mention Mariah.

I gotta start this by saying I’m a huge fan of Mariah Carey. Always will be. And despite the inevitable comparisons between Mimi & Ariana, that’s the last thing I’m going to say on the subject here, because I honestly don’t think that in the long run, the comparisons are going to do either artist any favors.
So yeah, I bought the Ariana Grande album, Yours Truly. And, at the absolute base of all of it, I  find this album to be a highly enjoyable experience. 
image
So a few notes:
  1. This album is full of 90s nostalgia in a seriously good way. Little Mix is 90’s nostalgia in a really bad way. 
  2. I’ve always been a sucker for a Babyface written/produced song. Since he was so heavily involved in this album, it kind of naturally follows that I’d like it. (side note: I think Babyface was the first producer I was actually aware of.)
  3. Have been excited about this album since I first saw the video for “Baby I
  4. This album has a lot of production elements in it (like that irritating slowed down deep voice thing that is in EVERY FRICKEN SONG on the radio these days), that I think are going to sound dated in about five minutes, and yeah, that annoyed the shit out of me.
  5. Can’t wait to hear her voice grow, mature, and, well…ripen.
  6. Why the fuck did somebody decide to put that boy band guy on “Almost is Never Enough?” Ariana so dramatically outshines him from a talent standpoint that I actually get embarrassed for the dude every time I hear the song.
Anyway. Yeah. I like this shit. A LOT. 
It’s just pure pleasure to sit back and listen to somebody do something that they clearly love, and have an awful lot of natural talent for. Really looking forward to the rest of this chick’s career.

No comments:

Post a Comment