Monday, February 3, 2014

soft, safe & sanitized?

in which I have a good "these kids today" moment.

So, you may have heard, the Superbowl happened.

Apparently.

Honestly, I wouldn't have known that it had happened, except that it took place across the river from my city, and the meatheads wearing football jerseys who were in town for it made my commute hell for three days.

(and NYC is making their commute back home a living hell today, in kind repayment. Heh. Snow rocks sometimes)

This morning, after reading through the news, out of morbid curiosity, I clicked on the New York Times review of Bruno Mars halftime show. (also, I like Bruno Mars)

Photo from the New York Times

The review called him "harmless." It pointed out that the Red Hot Chili Peppers (who also played a set at the show) had lost their teeth (so to speak). I'm not sure I can disagree with either of those two statements, so amazingly enough, I'm not arguing with this review. For once.

But the last paragraph... dude. It basically called Mars out as the kind of ultimate American, "reinforcing the idea of the Super Bowl as an indomitable American institution."

Which, for a guy who once said that he had issues before he made it big because of his race, who comes from a Puerto Rican-Jewish-Filipino background...

It made my little American heart smile. Times have changed. And that makes me damn happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment