Wednesday, July 24, 2013

it might get loud

An example of how I am usually late to the party. Four years late.
But, you know, I feel like I’m doing pretty well for somebody with a kid and a full time job and numerous other interests, which mostly include listening to music, and not watching movies about it.
One Friday afternoon found me home from work, watching It Might Get Loud with my 7-year-old daughter, and my 10-month-old nephew. And a really loud air conditioner. And I couldn’t wear my headphones because I actually had to pay attention to the kids.
Whatever. Parenting. Feh.
Oh, and also, my daughter wanted to hear it. Go figure. I had to turn on the subtitles because I couldn’t actually hear any of the dialogue, much less understand the mumbling English/Irish accents with an insane amount of white noise/kid chatter going on in the background.
image
So, a listy review:
  1. It held my daughter’s attention for the duration of the movie, and she said that she didn’t want it to end. This surprised me, because the movie doesn’t have much of a narrative, or much action, and is mostly two old guys and one not-so-old one noodling around on guitars, talking about guitars, and visiting places that were important to their guitars.
  2. The baby really liked the parts with the punk rock. He’s got good taste. Let’s see if we can overcome his father’s tragic adoration of Rush (among other prog rockers).
  3. I found it highly enjoyable, and I went into it with less than zero expectations, given that the last rock documentary I saw was “Shine a Light.” I watched it on a plane. I walked out.
  4. Also surprisingly enjoyable, because Jack White is one of those musicians that I honestly could give a flying fuck in hell about. it made me want to listen to the Raconteurs. (Fuck the White Stripes. Never liked them anyway) One of these days when I actually get around to it, I will buy a Raconteurs’ album and listen to it. When I’m in the mood. Maybe.
  5. I learned quite a lot, which also surprised me. I also love that Jimmy Page was learning stuff from The Edge, and was totally open about it, and that Jack White was so open to this. Mostly because I really love watching people who love what they do, and when they have that quality, they’re really in a space of beginner’s mind, and full of joy with the entire process. It was a beautiful thing.
  6. We’ll need to watch it again. Maybe without a squirmy 10-month-old at my side. So that I can actually concentrate on the movie, and not on keeping said baby from falling off the couch. Because that would make me not so much of a good godparent. Oh, and maybe at a time when it’s not 100 degrees outside and I don’t have to have the AC running on full blast right next to me, and I will actually be able to hear the music in the film. I’m picky that way. 
  7. It contains footage of Bono wearing an incredibly tight white satin jumpsuit, or something, from the late 70s. Awesome. Amazing how pretentious he can seem, given that there is footage of him wearing the aforementioned suit, and his glorious mullet. I’m not saying he’s actually pretentious (ok, yes I am), but he comes off that way.
  8. My daughter can now pick out one of The Edge’s guitar riffs easily. He’s got such a distinctive style. I’m so proud. She was describing one of his riffs (from Where the Streets Have No Name) as sounding like a waterfall. Pretty accurate, methinks.
  9. I think my kid is also now fantasizing about Jimmy Page being her grandpa. She doesn’t have any grandfathers, and older men hold a fascination for her. I should totally introduce her to the wonders of Keith Richards, because I really feel like his fashion sense fits much more closely with her own.
  10. It was also awesome to sit there and be able to pause the movie and explain some of the stuff about the music to my kid, and to see her really connecting with it. 
you can find the movie in various places that are awesome. it was put out in 2009, by Sony, or some such company.
just go buy or rent it and watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment