Wednesday, July 31, 2013

blurred lines

A review of Robin Thicke’s new album, Blurred Lines. Timely, for once.
I was first introduced to Robin Thicke some five or six years ago by my friend Gabe (who’s producing music under the name FaceLES, interview with him to come soon). We were hanging out on the job, pretending to actually do “work,” but in reality, just sitting around bullshitting about music, kids, our respective marriages, and what have you, and he mentioned Robin Thicke . This was right around the time The Evolution of Robin Thicke was released. Gabe described the album to me, and I immediately ran home and purchased it, after listening to a couple of snippets on iTunes. It got me. I love me some good R&B, and this was…fuckin perfect. (Thanks, man!)
I wore out Evolution. Listened to it on repeat for months. And Thicke quickly became one of the few artists that I will run out (ok, well, turn on my computer) and buy his albums at 6am on the Tuesday that they’re released. 
As you can tell, this review is going to be completely, utterly unbiased.
The first eight tracks on Blurred Lines are basically the soundtrack to the parties that I wish I’d been invited to when I was in college. Except that nobody was really throwing that type of party, so… Anyway, the songs have an awesome mix of funk, disco, and Michael Jackson, with a little EDM thrown in for good measure. 
So yeah, I was the person dancing their ass off to this album in Grand Central Terminal yesterday. Bright orange headphones? Totally unconcerned about what an ass I was making of myself? Yeah, that was me.
I’m a little disappointed that there’s only one Pharrell Williams produced track on the album (Blurred Lines), because I really love their collaborations. And disappointed that there’s no Lil Wayne on this one, as he’s usually excellent with Thicke. The one Timbaland produced track (Take it Easy on Me) is kinda meh on its own. Fine when taken in context with the other songs, but not my favorite. And surprisingly, I liked the will.i.am tracks (Feel Good, and Go Stupid 4 U). I’d previously thought that will.i.am was making himself a little too prevelant/irrelevant, but these are pretty solid.
I respectfully disagree with Entertainment Weekly’s review of the album as “boring.” It might be a little one-note, as compared to Thicke’s other albums, but I don’t think it is boring in the slightest. (Not that I actually read EW for music news, since their music coverage, well, is rather light. (which is a polite way of saying it blows) Maybe now that they have an actual music critic on staff (this Nick Catucci guy who wrote the aforementioned review. I checked out his bona fides, and he worked for Rolling Stone, among other places. nice work if you can get it.) their music coverage will be better. I’m not holding out any hope though.)
This is definitely Thicke’s most commercial album. And there isn’t a goddamn thing wrong with that.  Are people really concerned that Robin Thicke has “sold out” now that he has a huge hit? I don’t think he had any pretensions about not being a sellout, ever, so… maybe the dude just wanted to have some fun on this one. And leave off on the social commentary for once.
All that being said, this album is everything I’d wished Justin Timberlake’s The 20/20 Experience had been. (I wished JT’s album had been good. God, I fuckin hate that one. I’m pissed at myself for buying it. When I first heard it, I thought “shit, this is the worst Robin Thicke knockoff EVER.” heh)
Only one ballad to be found on this album, 4 the Rest of My Life. Which, personally, I find refreshing. I fucking hate ballads. And I’m not particularly a fan of Thicke’s. Too damn sappy. Although Teach U a Lesson on The Evolution of Robin Thicke does have that truly excellent line about hiding WMDs, which cracks me the hell up every time. So ok, maybe I like some of his ballads. Whatever. I can do what I want.
And, to be perfectly honest, Blurred Lines is not as good as Love After War (his last album). Love After War was this beautiful, perfect beast filled with wild creativity, a huge variety of musical styles, excellent social commentary… it’s his best album so far. However, I don’t think Blurred Lines is his worst either. I’d probably give those honors to Sex Therapy, although there are still some truly excellent songs on that album.
The takeaway? I liked it. Blurred Lines was put out by some record company or another, and can be purchased wherever people are selling music and shit. Go buy it. Or not. Whatever. You can do what you want too.
(oh, also, the ukulele on Go Stupid 4 U was inspired. Good job Mr. i.am. or whoever is responsible for that one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment